So we found out the house I first put an offer in on Alder was still available this week and they would consider my counter offer. I went back through today and my agent's husband came through also to give us an estimate on some of the things I'd want done on the house. I really just wanted to find out what it would cost to update the kitchen a little, convert the garage room back to a garage and possibly retexture the walls and ceiling in the living area. A lot of work, but all of it doesn't have to be done right away.
I also had my roommate Kara come and look through with me too. So it started out ok, but then as we went it got worse and worse. The garage conversion back is the least of my issues. The windows they put in the addition's bedroom aren't the right size and turns out they aren't legal either. They need to be bigger and I'd probably need to put in a door in the room. I don't mind that because I wanted a door out to the back yard anyway, but its just the tip of the iceberg.
The furnace is blocked in by a wall so you can't even get in to it to service it. There is also not enough return air coming back to the furnace so its probably working overtime which is never good. I think this is something we'd need fixed, and the all ripped out but I don't want to pay for it. The next big ticket item is the roof. I knew it might need replaced and I was hoping it would be an easy fix, but it actually has to be stripped all the way down and because Shake is underneath (why oh why do people do these things) it would need plywood laid down and then reshingled. That's not cheap, at least 10k.
I also had my roommate Kara come and look through with me too. So it started out ok, but then as we went it got worse and worse. The garage conversion back is the least of my issues. The windows they put in the addition's bedroom aren't the right size and turns out they aren't legal either. They need to be bigger and I'd probably need to put in a door in the room. I don't mind that because I wanted a door out to the back yard anyway, but its just the tip of the iceberg.
The furnace is blocked in by a wall so you can't even get in to it to service it. There is also not enough return air coming back to the furnace so its probably working overtime which is never good. I think this is something we'd need fixed, and the all ripped out but I don't want to pay for it. The next big ticket item is the roof. I knew it might need replaced and I was hoping it would be an easy fix, but it actually has to be stripped all the way down and because Shake is underneath (why oh why do people do these things) it would need plywood laid down and then reshingled. That's not cheap, at least 10k.Oh and all the window's are random which I knew before but some of the vinyl windows need replaced because seals are broken. So there are not only cosmetic fixes that are needed but some bigger repairs too.
So comes the decision... If I can get the price down or the furnace and roof replaced as part of the deal I would consider going ahead. I just don't know if this is going to be a money pit. The yard is beautiful. It has good space with the bonus room. I like the layout of the house. I can live with the kitchen for a few years if I get the dishwasher and disposal put in and bit of paint will help a good deal.
I think the little yellow house was really the solid house. I am praying that somehow they decide to reconsider my offer on it. My agent is going to check in again with the sellers. They took the house off the market officially but perhaps they'll reconsider and work directly with us. So prayers would be good! There is someone who will look into the furnace next week and give us an expert opinion on it. Hopefully God will make it clear to me what to do or if there is another house I should be waiting for. I feel like I can't wait forever because Kara needs a home to move into and the rates aren't steady now and I don't want them to go up.
I don't know...
I don't know...
3 comments:
That sounds like a lot of work. I would think legally if they did work not up to permit standards that they should cover the cost to repair. Your house hunting gives me a head ache.
Oh, and I had such a nice time getting out with you, we NEED to do it again soon.
That sounds like too much work for you Katy.
Wayne
So KATIE what have you decided?
Post a Comment