What leads us to do the insane? I mean sometimes we just keep repeating the same crazy patterns over and over in our lives, defying logic and reason.
For me that's shopping every year on the day after Thanksgiving with all the other "crazies". My sister sucked us all in to this tradition years ago. Now most of the women in my family go. There's something fun and exhilarating about waking up at 4:30 in the morning just so you can get socks at Fred Meyer at 50% off! Then heading to the next store that opens at 6 am and perhaps stocking up on Christmas supplies at the craft store for again 60% off! Its a shopper's world and not for the meek. If you want something you better get in there and get it.
I think of it as the Superbowl for women. Instead of comparing our game stats or hunting and fishing achievements we compare receipts. How often I've heard women say "Oh I love that top! Where'd you get it?" and in response "Nordstrom for $15.99, regularly $80.00!". Its the thrill of the chase, and the victory of getting a good deal that sucks me in. There have honestly been receipts I've wanted to frame before they had such amazing savings on them(But of course I haven't because that's just silly.)
It all ends in a good breakfast together somewhere before heading on to new stores or going home. Its not uncommon to have been to 3-4 stores by 8 am. Along the way you sometimes make shopping friends in lines waiting to get in or buy your bargains, and then its always fun when you see the same people at the next shopping stop.
If you want to attempt shopping on "Black Friday" next year here are my top seven tips for having a successful and fun time... (I couldn't come up with 10.)
7. Have cell phones with all in your shopping party or have a plan of where to meet if you are separated. The last thing you want is to waist time wandering in circles looking for someone. This also allows you to go to separate stores or departments freely.
6. Set your alarm and get up early. Most of the stores do bonus deals and extra discounts early in the morning, or are sold out within an hour.
5. Go through all the ads the day before and map out your stops and buys at each store. This saves time and keeps you from getting frustrated. Most important is cutting the coupons out for your stops and putting them in your purse so you don't forget them.
4. Make sure you get some coffee and food early on or your patience won't last. This is extremely important! A tip: Many stores have free coffee and doughnuts for the early shoppers.
3. If a store's line is ridiculously long have a sacrificial lamb wait in line to hold you a place. They can have their items picked up by the shoppers and you won't spend hours waiting. Its not cheating its efficient! There will be lines everywhere you go, some are faster than others, and people everywhere. (Just be ready for it and wait patiently.)
2. THIS IS NOT THE DAY TO BROWSE! YOU ARE ON A MISSION! The plan is to get in and get out, and stick to your list... Do you really need a crockpot that fits one serving for $4.99?
1. Most of all...Take it easy and don't take the insanity to seriously! This is a time to get good deals but also to have fun. If you don't get those socks in the cute pink pattern its not the end of the world!
7 comments:
OH my GOSH! The last time I did that I thought some old lady was going to kill me! I have not done it since. OK, I'm not scared of little old ladies, it's just that my shopping patterns have changed. I now shop during the day between 9am and 1pm.
On a better note, I hope you got all you were in search of. You obviously lived to tell it!
I used to work on Black Friday. As far as I'm conscerned that day doesn't exist to me. Thank you very much but I'll just stay under my rock.
Tip 5 (changed slightly): Cut out the coupons and put them in your purse. Right I will remember that next time I use my purse.
I would LOVE to have a show about shopping! Do you have any contacts who can hook me up?
Mr Why... Don't be ashamed of having a man purse! I'm giggling just envisioning you carrying one with coupons inside. ;-)
Hey hey hey!! here's dear tanya on katie's blog!!!
love meagan
Hi Tanya!!! Wow that's lame! Most of the people shopping at the time we are there are only getting the deals and not grocery shopping. If I saw someone with groceries I'd totally let them go. They are obviously there for different reasons. Oh and I love the Duran Duran reference.
It was good to meet you! Here's to fun holiday parties!
Katie, wow
I like your tips. Sounds like a fun crazy time. Oh and you are so right about the receipts. I find myself doing it. "Oh you like it was half off." Oh well.
Post a Comment