11/10/2005

A Good Quote...

Right now I am reading through the Chronicles of Narnia again. I'm on the Horse and His Boy. I adore these books. I've been looking forward to the upcoming movie, and desperately hoping it does justice to one of the best stories I've read. So today while I was doing my blog rounds I was directed to this article on CS Lewis from the perspective of his stepson. In it was one of the best quotes. I think it speaks for itself...

"The problem with evangelical Christianity in America today, a large majority of you have sacrificed the essential for the sake of the trivial. You concentrate on the trivialities—not smoking, not drinking, not using bad language, not dressing inappropriately in church, and so on. Jesus doesn't give two hoots for that sort of b***. If you go out and DO Christianity, you can smoke if you want, you can drink if you want—though not to excess, in either case."

AMEN BROTHER! This is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you want to read the article here's the link

12 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE everything about Narnia and CS Lewis. There is an authentic life there that is so rare today, especially in the church. Have you read anything by Brennan Manning? "The Ragamuffin Gospel" changed my life!

Katie said...

No I haven't read it but I've heard many good things. I should pick it up soon and read it. Thanks!

Why said...

I like that quote but also doesn't Narnia have {horror of horrors} Talking Animals?



oqxcnamp: Try prounouncing this one.

Katie said...

Nice post! :)

I had to go check out the "other" katie after reading about our duality on Meagan's blog. too funny :)

signed,
Katie #2
Sister of Erin
Blog buddy of Meagan
Alaskan girl extraordinaire

meagan said...

Yay! blogbuddies mingling! We've got emily from indiana AND katiepez from alaska here on lifelong katiepoo from p-land's blog!

love meagan

meagan said...

Oh, and Why. I am sure Why is a very important person too, but I don't know who that is. :-)

Katie said...

This all getting out of control!!! Because I have another Emily who I forgot posts under a pseudonym AND another Erin who posts occasionally. So the duality is multiplying! I'm getting so confused. I have to start looking at your pictures.

Why... I KNOW!!! You weren't around the other day when I had the epiphany that I do in fact like stories with talking animals because I like Narnia! But... I prefer the human characters. Not too mention this is a magical land that is intended to have talking animals and isn't pretending to be our world where animals do not in fact talk. Those stories are the one's that bug me the most...

Why said...

You mean Watership Down?

Katie said...

Huh? I've never read Watership Down...

But I did also want to add that I like the Secret of Nimh. So I do like some animal stories, but its an exception basis.

Eucharisto said...

Good quote, though I would slightly differ in that, well, I agree that God isn't that nitpicky, but I do think He appreciates our efforts toward goodness, rather than us justifying our actions because of His grace. I don't necessarily think it means we can "smoke all we want, or drink all we want", it simply means it's not as important as the big issues. The point of Christianity is that we are growing in righteousness, not wallowing in grace. When we give God something to work with, it's easier to move forward in maturity. Now whether or not it is right to smoke and drink, that's up for interpretation. The Word says, "happy is the man who does not condemn himself in what he believes". I agree with that verse.
Another thing, I'm always amazed at how so many Christians can be so hostile to the evangelical church at large, when in fact, all Christians have to come back to the church eventually, it is the life blood of Christianity. Modern Christians should be careful not to bite the hand that feeds them.
Don't think I'm trying to go off on a tirade here, just some thoughts on my mind.
But don't get the wrong impression, I'm an enormous fan of Doug Gresham, I think for the most part, he's great.

Eucharisto said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

I definitely get the point you are making Eucharisto. He does note that you shouldn't do those "bad" things in excess. But the point is there... don't focus on what not to do focus on what to do. The opposite spectrum can be just as bad! If we camp on the idea of grace we start to take license to do whatever and that's not what God wants us to strive after.

And on the idea of the church. I adore the church, and I am grateful for it daily. I think those harsh comments are often directed toward the "Church" we see depicted through media and vocal political campaigns. Not always the church you and I would call home. I would die without the church. At the same time I do hope we strive after the will of God in our churches and be less concerned with "rules". But of course we have to find here also as in our own lives the balance so as not to swing the pendulum in an entirely different direction.