5/21/2008

Overwhelmed

That's exactly how I feel right now about the house hunting process. There are a million factors to take into account all at once. Can I afford this, do I have time or money to fix that, can I live with that bathroom, where will I park my car, would that be a good investment, is this a safe neighborhood? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

After my last turn out this weekend I think I've seen about 20 houses maybe more and I'm not closer to a decision I'm just more confused. I left my agent on Sunday and practically started crying when I hit my car. The stress it getting to me. I'm taking the weekend off and going down to see my Mom and Dad and Meagan. Maybe I will get some clarity on my week off from looking, or maybe the perfect place will go on the market or have a price drop.


Here's the latest thoughts:

SE 113th St, it is by Floyd Light and near where I used to rent my little studio. It has cute curb appeal and only a few flaws. It needs some minor updates and forced air put in. Bonus is there is a garage and a nice curb appeal. Its not my ideal neighborhood that's for sure. But its not bad.

Berrydale might have too many fixes needed, but I still like the neighborhood and the idea of doing some updates the way I want them. There is a house a few blocks over that just dropped its price (Hawthorne-pics on my dropshots site). But downer is no garage, up side is that its a little more updated and has a bonus room (former garage).

I had a friend just tell me I need a clear strategy and to stick to it until I find it. This coming from someone who took two years to find a place... I'm a bit of a faster mover. Though he's right I'm not finding anything, because I don't totally have a plan of what to look for. So maybe that's something I need to rethink. So far all I've decided is: 2 bedrooms in my price range and livable kitchen and bath (minor updates are ok). Not so specific. Still up in the air are do I want a fixer, can I handle a fixer? Do I want a condo? Do I want a yard? Um... Yes to all and no.

See here's an apartment conversion condo I saw this weekend in a random stop by for an open house that was done very nicely and its not exactly in the price range I was trying to stick to. And here's a fixer in a totally awesome neighborhood that has TONS of potential. But I haven't seen this in person so I don't know how much work it needs and I could only do a limited $ amt of improvements before I'd tap out my resources.

Can you tell I'm just confusing myself more?

3 comments:

kate said...

I like the floyd light home. Still can be lived but with great potential. not ideal neighborhood, but closer to activities and freeway. and closer to us!

It's overwhelming and somtimes you just have to jump in and see what happens. But when you know, you know.

condo good too, but ehhh with the price.

TcH said...

Keep looking. Dont settle. When you walk in you will know it's your home. I promise you. We have bought two homes and each one we walked into I was instantly like "this is it!" even Cheryl said she could tell on our faces when it clicked for us.
I wrote a list of "must haves" that I wanted and things I absolutely would NOT give up (3 bedrooms, 2 baths etc...) maybe make a list for yourself (of course this is Katie Im talking to, you probably made a list already huh??)
Dont settle, dont stress... the right one will come to you. WE will keep praying.

Im with Kate, that apartment conversion is WAY too much $$ IMHO!!!!

Katie said...

Thanks my encouragers! Turns out the fixer in a good neighborhood had the wrong address and therefore is no longer quite as cool. Figures...

I'm just praying now that the right one becomes clear to me.