5/10/2008

House Hunters

So Teresa inspired this post with her comment earlier in the week. I love the show House Hunters on HGTV. They show buyers looking at homes and show three choices and in a strange way its like a game show and you pick which one you think they should choose. So I'm letting you all come on the same little journey with me as look for a house. For fun I added a new poll element to the right. Tell me your opinions! This week's poll is about what house to choose. I'm still looking but here's the top three I've seen. The town home from the previous post is out, it was way too small to be livable, just shows you that pic's online can be deceiving!

1) Updated Tabor Condo is still in the running. Though possibly lower on the list.
Pro's:
  • Updated kitchen with no work required
  • Tabor area, need I say more
  • Little (and I mean little or not there) patio/yard, this can go either way I guess

Con's:

  • Awkward bathroom and washer and dryer layout in some models
  • Not many have sold which might work in my favor, or means I might kick myself when the drop the prices after I buy one!
  • Some hokey apartments are right next door
  • No garage and limited storage space

2) Berrydale Cute Cottage was a front runner today. I love the area, the size is about the same as the condo and close in price.

Pro's:

  • In Montavilla area right by Berrydale park on a quieter side street. Close to the church and Matt and Emily
  • Newer looking roof and gutters
  • Garage and LOTS of storage.
  • An actual house and yard!
  • Been on the market for a long time meaning I might be able to get a deal.
  • Nice little laundry area off the kitchen
  • Fairly good shape to start with.

Con's:

  • Bathroom is small and only has a shower.
  • Kitchen is a HYSTERICAL throw back to 1970, though oddly its kitsch is a little charming. It would need demo'd and replaced eventually. No dishwasher and OLD stove.
  • Windows are not insulated and need replaced.

3) New construction in a transitional neighborhood. This is a newer freestanding house.
Pro's:

  • Brand spanking new, though certainly not high end construction it seems done well.
  • Good layout and little yard area
  • Could move right in.
  • Bathrooms and Bedrooms are good sized

Con's:

  • Only two blocks from 82nd which is a tad scary
  • No garage or driveway (what were they thinking?)
  • Neighbors might be sketchy

I'm definitely still looking, but thought I'd give you all some of my first thoughts. I have a feeling I will change my mind a million times during this process. So far I love my agent Cheryl and I'm not so sure about the mortgage broker (we'll see if he turns out).

6 comments:

Brenda L said...

You do have to figure out if you will have time and desire to work on a yard. That will be a big factor for you. Selfishly if you lived closer (near Matt and Emily) I may see you more.

TcH said...

OHH this is fun! Im going to go look at all of them right now!
Im so excited I inspired you. ha ha.

Love the look of the new page BTW

TcH said...

I voted for "keep looking"
Although the Berrydale one would be my front runner. The kitchen IS hysterical. Although if you just took down that wallpaper, got a new stove and painted those cabinets/added hardware, it would be LIVABLE until you could do an update.
It's really not THAT horrible.

What mortgage person are you using???

Katie said...

Hey T- Your sentiments on a quick clean up of the kitchen are the same as mine. I'm also asking my mortgage guy (PRM in Beaverton- Kate recomended them and the guy they used passed me off to another guy in the office. I'm still trying to decide if I like him...) if we can do a rehab type loan where I get some money right of the bat to redo the windows and some work in the kitchen. I priced cabinets and appliances at Lowes and Ikea this weekend. I could maybe live for a while if I do some cosmetic work right away.

Brenda you can always come visit me in Clackamas... ;-)

Jenny said...

oooooh this is fun!

First off...I like the blog makeover. Second...isn't Cheryl the best. I just loved going out to look for houses with her. She is SO fun!

One time we got a flat tire or her battery died or something...so we looked at the house and then had to wait and wait. ha

I voted for keep looking as well. I had the exact same thoughts as T about the Berrydale cottage.

How's it going? Have you seen anything else or made any decisions?

Why said...

Out of the three, the Berrydale one is the front runner for sure. It has the pro of being a real house, yard, driveway, storage, the opportiunity to remodel however much you want or can afford, good nieghborhood. Though I don't know what it means if it has been on the market for a while; does nobody want it, or has nobody but you found it?

The one close to 82nd seems scary, and no driveway could really get to be a pain.

Tabor is nice, but an akward bathroom could get frusturating after a while.

Happy hunting.