I traded the Beetle (Violet) in. It was a sad process in some ways but I feel it was the right decision. It was having consistent electrical problems, the miles were getting up there. I knew maintenance would start rolling in soon. So I decided to cut my losses while I still could. So I did a lot of research online these past few weeks and found a car that fit my idea of fun to drive, sensible, and reliable at the same time. I went to one dealer on Saturday that was recomended to me, with Emily for moral support, and they didn't even have any of the cars I wanted to drive. And not only that, but said it would be months of being on a waiting list for one. Seriously?! So I called another dealer that has a program set up with my credit union and whaddya know they have the car I was looking for. I got there and they had it in the color I wanted too. Then they offered me pretty close to what I thought was a fair trade in price for the Beetle.
So I went for it. Deep breath! Its so tiring making decisions like this. You second guess everything. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE has advice on what you should do. Half of which disagree with each others. But in the end you have to do what feels right to you. I'll be paying on this car longer than I would have the Beetle, but its brand new with no problems and its a consumer reports best bet. The Beetle however was WORST bet. Remember that if you are ever considering one. The coolness after a while does not outweigh the issues. Sorry VW, you are cool but that's it.
So are you just so annoyed I haven't revealed what it is yet?
Well I traded this:

For this: 

It's an '06 Honda Civic LX. Not the fanciest version, but more than adequate. Its so fun to drive. I just zoomed all over today. Now I am breathing a sigh of relief that the ordeal is over and a decision is made.
22 comments:
I hope I get to see it and/or ride in it sometime within the next week! :)
Sweet ! That's my parents car, as you know. But much cooler because of the 2-door. Very sassy. I can't believe you were thinking about our dream car (Audi!!!)!! This is much more practical on yours finances and seriously just as cool. Yea for Civics!
Congratulations Kate! I know it will be a sad thing to say goodbye to the VW but all in all, it was probably time. :)
I wish I had seen it before I left! It looks like a great pick, though!
I never ever heard you call your car Violet! How did I not know that was its name?!? Okay, now I'll go read the rest of your blog.
Congratulations!
Wow, you have a new home and a new car. I am so out of touch with your current life. :-( I've got to get up there soon, don't I?!?
love meagan
I'm loving it! I had so much fun driving it today to work. And...ta da... Its reliable!
Yes I want to take you all for rides! Set appointments with me now.
Meagan... the Beetle was named at the insistence of Foolish Knight that I name things, and Margo's girls came up with it one weekend. I had to rule out Princess Erica and Sleeping Beauty first. They picked Violet from The Incredibles. I thought it was the best choice. And apparently when Mattea found out I sold it today she cried! So sweet! Yes come visit. Hey how was Hawaii? I'm going in November!
You drive a Honda.
You should call it "Judas" or "Son of Perdition" or something like that.
Love you bunches!
Me.
I like naming things. I like Foolish Knight.
Foolish Knight I love how you say so deadpan... "You drive a Honda." I know what you are thinking, and that's just fine! My self-esteem does not rest on your approval. (you still like me right?)
Meagan you and Foolish Knight would definitely get along. I'll introduce you on your next visit.
That is one HOT car!! I think it looks a lot more MATURE than the beetle! Good choice! I LOVE the color!!!!!
I think that that car makes a lot of sense Katie... I don't even think YOU could break that car... At least as long as you stay out of the way of all of us. Ahhh yes I know you are going to say, "nate that was a long time ago, leave me alone. I am grown and mature" To that I will say only, "Kate...(eyebrows raised)" eheehh
Ok so did you move again? I thought you were still with Laurel on Mt. Tabor!?!?!?
Yes, it was a VERY long time ago Nate! No I didn't move again... I meant the initial move this year.
Thanks T... It is a sweet car!
I gotta say, I love VWs, but I got a history with Hondas. My family owns three of them right now.
Good choice, it's an awesome car! How do you like the space-age dashboard (or so I'm told that's what it is)?
So what are going to name your car?
Hey Meagan! I like naming things, and I like myself too!
We have so much in common!
I can't believe how many comments I've got going on this one. Its kind of fun. Maybe I should never post again and just keep commenting on this post for ages?? Nah...
So no official name for the honda yet. Suggestions? I was thinking I needed a male name.
As for the dash, its a total cockpit feel. I feel like I'm going to take off from the road at anytime! I'm used to it now. Its great fun.
"Jeeves"
George, you should definitely name the car George.
How does "Slartibartfast" sound to you?
I second "Slartibartfast". Great name for a car that feels like a rocketship.
Post a Comment