8/14/2006

What to do... What to do?!

So I love the Beetle... Half the time. The rest of the time I get annoyed at its little electrical blips, and maintenance. Plus I still have a lot of debt. A lot of which I reinvested in this car recently to get a better rate. I'm not Ms Shopaholic for nothing! So I had the fleeting thought this weekend of selling it, and buying a cheaper car. It could get me out of a nice chunk of debt. Today I shopped around a bit online and found that I could probably sell it for a nice price because its a diesel and everyone wants better mileage right now. And that's another think I don't want to do, go through selling it and having people I don't know poke around and look at it.

So I am praying about it. I'd love to buy a house some day and I might just have to bite the bullet and drive a car not as cool as the Beetle for a few years if it will help. But I also don't want to trade out for a car that won't be reliable or still somewhat nice to drive. I guess part of getting older is realizing you have to make grown up decisions. Cool and fun is not the same as fiscally responsible. Then to tempt me today I saw a fantastic Audi TT on my works classifieds today for only $15k. That's CHEAP, but really I wouldn't be doing anything but trading one car for another at that point.

Any advice? Moral support?

7 comments:

meagan said...

How in the world could there be a TT for only $15,000!?!

I'd be sad if we did not have matching cars any longer. :-(

Emily said...

Katie, if you get a Tercel, we can have matching cars. ha ha. Sips gas! Just kidding. I don't expect you to get a Tercel. When I replace my Tercel, I think I'm going to get the Toyota Matrix. Dark gray/charcoal color hopefully.

Emily

Katie said...

Yes only $15,000! I figured it was so cheap I had to take a second look.

Matching cars, you are both so funny. I actually thought about how your little Tercel is such a good commuter car. I like the Matrix Emily and I love that you have the color picked out already... :-)

I still haven't decided. Its a big decision, so I'm not doing anything rash.

TcH said...

I can't give any advice,but I can give moral support. I say I can't give advice b/c I say GO FOR THE TT. I saw it on the classifieds and that is one SWEEEEET ride ; -)

Eucharisto said...

Hmm...Buying the TT actually wouldn't be a tradeoff, when you consider that
1) Your insurance will shoot up through the roof,
2) Your gas milage will drop through the floor, (you really can't get better than a TDI Beetle!), and
3) Your car parts price will have you spending money out the window.
If all that's worth the trade off, then for sure, do it. But sticking with a beetle will save you potentially hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in the long run.
Besides, I've driven that Beetle! It's sweet-lovin' cool!
Out of curiosity, is it reliable, for the most part?

Katie said...

Eucharisto you are so funny! And you are so right. I checked insurance rates today. Ridiculous. Oh well, its a cool car (TT). The Beetle is a beautiful looking car. Its fun to drive. But it is plagued with little electrical problems. I knew this was a VW issue from the start but I took my chances. Now that I'm well past the warranty its starting to get annoying. Three times this year the Beetle hasn't started for some reason or another. Causing me MASSIVE PANIC ATTACKS and then costing me MONEY! :-(

The TT is a SWEET ride T! I wish it was a little more practical. I still go and stare at the picture.

Andrew Price said...

Oh, oh! VW buses are practical, right?

Right?

You could trade for it, and then I could paint it, right? Good idea, no?