3/06/2006

Jury Duty

I had Jury Duty today. This is my second time to do this in the last three or so years. How they "randomly" select the Jury pool I'm not so sure? But I've hit the jackpot more times now than some people have their entire lives. If this luck carried over into the other areas of my life it would be FANTASTIC! I'd be buying lottery tickets weekly. But alas it doesn't seem so.

But I figured it would go well with my plans to take a "break" for the next two weeks. I've had a lot going on in my head and my heart and I was ready to crack... So I'm refraining from any kind of ministry and extra curricular activities for the next two weeks. Since Jury Duty consists of essentially sitting all day in a room downtown staring at the paint (which I am positive is lead based) chipping off of old pipes, I figured it would be prime for my mental break.

The day was going so well. I'd read a very thought provoking passage in A.W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy, did some Bible reading about the "wilderness" (a theme for me lately), then we broke for lunch. I had a great lunch with Erin who came down to see me. I was back in the jury room listening to my iPod (which after its duty today, does in fact deserve a name but I can't think of a good one yet) and reading a silly girl magazine thinking I was going to get off scott free. Not called up for jury selection once in the four calls for the day.

I watched the time tick closer to 5 pm. Then at the awful last minute, 4:30 in the afternoon they called 15 more jurors. I was confident I would be spared, but no luck... My name was called. Turns out I am a potential juror in a civil case and have to return tomorrow to an official courtroom. If I get selected I have to serve until NEXT WEEK! This was not in my plan for the day. Oh well. Maybe God's enforcing a work break on me also?

In light of my many thoughts for today (its like a water faucet that was trickling has broken and they are spewing out in numbers I can't control) here's one to share....

"Is there any real true creativity or creation made by man (creation being something entirely new)? Or is it all just a reshaping of the things already created around us. The re-working or a representation of the true beauty that already exists?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matty C here,

Sorry about the jury duty. It could be worse, you could have my job... yes I got a job a local nursing home. However after one day I'm rethinking many things. I'll see how the week unfolds before making a final decision.

I'd kill to watch paint peel!

Anonymous said...

Well if you work at a nursing home you've got plenty of opportunity.

Katie said...

Hi long lost bro. I feel we haven't talked in FOREVER! So I am officially a juror for two weeks. So my work is freaking out, I find it a little interesting.

A new job?! I'm excited, but hopefully it starts going better for you. Sad to hear it wasn't a good first day.

Sister Ames said...

Knowledge of the Holy?! I love that book!! Oh sweet!! Have a great week beautiful!! Missin ya! :)