3/07/2006

My fears were confirmed...

I am officially now a juror in a case that will go until next week. I spent the morning answering questions in juror selection, and I should have guessed based on the case that I'd be picked. Nearly everyone picked has some sort of business background or formal education or some history with real estate (I used to work for a Title Company and this I think was my downfall).

Of course I can't really discuss the case with you all, but lets just say its a case of he said, he said. Already I'm not sure how we'll pick a side, but hey they've got six more days to work on us.

Being part of a jury or even the process of jury selection is a very interesting group sociology experiment. Its been so fascinating to watch how people act in a group of total strangers. Who makes friends quickly (In case you are curious its not me, and only after we recieved our sentance to serve did I start talking with anyone. Its a common mistake that people assume I'm totally an extrovert. In uncertain situations I tend to take a backseat and just watch.), who immediately has an opinion on everything, and who's an expert on everything.

I was so relieved that some of the potential jurors were cut. There was Annoying Guy who talked all the time (yet had no real substance to anything he'd say), there was Scary Lady with a Shaved Head that flat out told us she had issues with Schizophrenia but not to worry she was on her meds (She sat right next to me. Gee I wonder why they didn't pick her?). Then there are those that stayed. Business Guy who wanted to be excused for an already arranged trip (the judge didn't have much mercy and said no to his excuse), Knitting Lady (who talks A LOT and has offered to bring treats. Hooray!), and Nice Tea Lady (who offered me one of her tea bags at break). I'm sure I'll have more characters to share about later.

That's it for now in my daily court room log...
Signed,
The Chosen One

No comments: