Think I can do it? I think its something God is challenging me to try. I mean I love shopping. I find it a sport almost. If there was a competition, I think I'd have a shot at placing in the finals. I would actually frame receipts if it wasn't weird. I still relish the deal I got on those Banana Republic dresses (almost 75% off!!), not too mention the amazing leather jacket I bartered for in Italy. I love looking for good deals and fabulous things, but do I need things? I have a closet full of clothes and shoes. I don't really need more. At the retreat this weekend I really felt God calling me to see the resources He gives me as resources that are fully His. So in other words I need to be more responsible.
It was a bit of a wake up call when Nike announced layoffs are coming. I realized I haven't planned well for the unplanned. I have never even considered the fact that I might be laid off. I mean I'm amazing at my job right (I'm teasing here)? I think we are great at just living our lives on autopilot until something shakes us up and we realize we must change. It reminds me of many of the Old Testament stories where God had to shake things up because the people were apathetic or so entrenched in their sin they couldn't see Him and didn't recognize Him. I wonder if that's what God is allowing to happen to our country right now? Jody confirmed for me at the retreat that we are going into some hard times. I think its going to be essential in the future that we come together as a body and support each other. My favorite quote from the retreat was "If we stop thinking of it as ours but as God's resources we'll have enough". That's what God's challenging me to do. Start treating the resources He sends my way as His and not mine, where I just siphon some off for Him and the rest is for me. I'm just a steward of those resources. If He blesses me then He's blessing the body!
I think I'm supposed to fast from spending money on me. Essentials are ok, but no new jeans, no new shoes, no matter how cute. I'm not sure for how long, but for now I'm at least going through the Lent season. I'm excited to see how God uses this time to teach me and hopefully break some habits. Its like training for the marathon... I need to practice, because the time may well be here where there is no "you" in the equation but its all "us". How do we cover each other? Unemployment is rising and any held job is a resource to feed and care for the body and build the Kingdom. The Word says that they will know us by our love. Our love and community will directly be displayed and tested in this time. Are we ready for it?
2 comments:
this is good. hard, but good. I've found that it means for me, staying away from the mall and all the fun places I would go to 'just for fun' and end up buying stuff. I've had to wean myself of Target, alot. I could pick up 17 things in there without even thinking about it. I'm looking forward to this for you and to help encourage you.
Thanks for your post Katie. Last weekend really convicted me in some of the same ways. My shopping addiction, habit, SPORT. Whatever you want to call it. I too felt a great nudge to start being a TAD more responsible going forward. These are hard times we are coming upon and I truly dont think any of us even begin to realize what we are going to be in for. Im scared. But I also know that I need to rest in the Lord. He will not let us down. He knows what is best, even if we dont think so at the time. Im learning this in a LOT of different ways in my life right now. Sigh
Thanks again Katie. Love you! T
Post a Comment