1/04/2008

Stress

Only one week before my first trip for work to Asia. It's been a crazy week, and it was a short one (only 3 days!). I've learned already that trying to communicate with people who have English as their second language is not easy! I don't think anyone realizes how many slang words or colloquialisms we use in every day conversations. I find myself struggling to explain new concepts and ideas without using them and its very overwhelming. Not too mention I got the joy of explaining a project to everyone in the countries that they don't understand but need to validate in the next few weeks. Sigh... It feels like a rough start. Seriously this is the first time in years where I felt really out of my element at work. I'm having a mini culture shock and I haven't even left the country yet. I'm sure it will only continue when I travel next week. The one thing I'm really looking forward to is meeting some of my coworkers in person and hopefully crossing some of the language and time barriers.

Good news though... I have two or three people in my new team who are Christians. I was really excited to find this out this week. One is a very sweet lady from Korea who has moved to the US to help her kids to have less pressure on school work and to give them the ability to grow their spiritual life and just have the opportunity to be involved at church. How cool is that? I look forward to chatting with her more.

No comments: