This last Sunday after church I decided to go to Fred Meyer and get some groceries for the new place (which sadly didn't include near as much in the way of groceries, but did have a bottle of wine and some hard lemonade drinks. Yum.). I was wearing these new fabulous wedge heels. They are beautiful Cole Haan's that I got at the Employee Store for $30. These are normally $350 shoes. I was in heaven. Aren't they great?!

So there I am gliding around the grocery store in my new outfit and new shoes out, and of nowhere I totally slip and fall! And we aren't talking the kind of fall you recover from quickly. You know the trips where you catch yourself and then look quizzically at the floor for whatever it could have been to cause your slip, as if it could never solely be due to your lack of coordination! No hope of that kind of recover in sight. I was so surprised I just sat for a moment on the floor looking at my spilled groceries. I still have no idea what happened. And yes I walk in heels all the time and know how to do so. Maybe the fancy shoes are just too slippery for grocery shopping. Most people wearing $300 shoes can probably just have their groceries picked up by their maids. Two nice ladies stopped to ensure I was okay and I assured them I was fine, just a bit startled. I kneel on the floor picking up my groceries and just get up and walk away.
I am totally having a hard time not laughing out loud, but after a few minutes I realize I am not near as embarrassed as I would have been in the past. Is this a new level of maturity? In fact I could care less what the random people who saw my act of grace thought. Even though I know what I'd think... "Honey you nee to lay off the alcohol and learn how to walk in those shoes if you are going to do them justice!" And I'm sure someone was thinking just that.
7 comments:
Yikes. At least you probably looked chic as you fell wearing those shoes!
That's so funny. I mean, not that you fell but how you told the story. Maybe you could moonlight as a storyteller.
I'm not sure a new level of maturity if lurking, but it is a good thing to be able to laugh at ourselves and to take life a little less seriously. I am very thankful that you were not hurt. After all, you are a part of the great time Queeny and Soldout are going to have there. We can't have you getting hurt right before they get there now can we?
Oh, speaking of Queeny, I'd apprecitate prayer for her. She left for Portugal this morning. She called me just before boarding, telling me the Pastor got a last minute call about his mother and is no longer going with the group.
First off let me say UM HELLO THOSE SHOES ARE SO CUTE I AM JEALOUS AND I WANT THEM. Whenever I look at the CH stuff the sale price is STILL $80! How do you find these things???
Secondly.. sorry you fell! but I have to say, the visual (since you are OK) Is pretty darn funny! Especially considering you were buying all alcohol and then fell on your butt. ha ha ha!!
Thirdly.. shame on you! You should shop at Winco for your groceries. it is MUCH more reasonable! $$$$$$ hee hee.
I was laughing so hard when I read this. Not because I was laughing at you, but because of this statement, "You know the trips where you catch yourself and then look quizzically at the floor for whatever it could have been to cause your slip, as if it could never solely be due to your lack of coordination!" I do that all of the time, seriously! I think of myself as this completely coordinated, graceful Southern Belle. Um, I'm so not! The worst part is that I do it more in tennis shoes than I do in heels or sandals. Pathetic!
I'm sorry you fell, but Bravo to you for sincerely laughing at yourself! I probably would not have been so good-natured about it!
Those shoes are adorable, by the way!
Hi All! I'm still laughing about this story. I shared it at work and no one was surprised at all because I do the trip and look at the ground confused move at least once a week. And Nicole don't feel bad I'm usually wearing some sort of tennis shoe or sturdy sandal when I do it! I knew someone out there would identify with that one.
T the Cole Haan's go on clearance occassionally and that's where I find them. I check the sale area every time I go. I think about once a year they do an extreme mark down and they sell the one's they have left for $30 or so. I often don't like all the styles left but I've found a few gems. I think these were a return because there was literally not another pair in the place.
I love story telling Queen Mum. I used to entertain my dorm mates with humorous stories all the time. This is just like one of those stories. I'll be praying for Queenie definitely! I can't wait to hear about her trip when she's here. I'm looking forward to seeing them this summer.
Jody welcome to our blogging world!
Oh Katie, that reminds me of my honeymoon! I wasn't wearing anything near as cute or expensive (old navy flipflops, not even new ones but two year old - old navy flip flops). Toward the end of the trip the tropical storms moved into Cozymel, Mexico thus bringing much rain. Which is fine, except for the fact that the resort was entirely marble and not well sealed. There were puddles everywhere! Walking back to my room from the elevator rounding the corner, I fell... hard. The kind of fall that looks so good it has to be fake. Books flying in the air, feet over head fall. All my stuff and I landed in the puddle and was caught by some on-lookers. I was shocked. I thought I broke my elbow... really... in Mexico... please can I go the hospital on some small Mexican island? Luckily, the hotel staff was very kind the rest of the trip bringing ice and whatever else I needed. Joe thought it was to prevent from getting sued.... Good times...
Oops! I forgot to say that I love the shoes! I don't know if any other female out there agrees, but there is just 'something' about a red pair of shoes.
There's this one pair that Queen and I keep going back repeatedly just for her to try them on and get one more look at them. Gosh, I think when she gets back we should go buy them and stop the torture.
Post a Comment