I was directed to a new site this week from a friend. Its called Pandora and is a result of a cool experiment called the Music Genome Project where they mapped out musical elements in artists and songs creating a database of sorts. Now you can enter an artist or song name and they'll play similar music for you. Its a great way to find new artists. I've already become addicted to playing it at work. Try it let me know what you think?
I've tried Sarah McLachlan. I got songs by Fleetwood Mac, The Corrs, and Natalie Merchant. Pretty cool if you ask me. Bob Dylan turned up some fun interesting choices I'd have never guessed. You can even have it tell you why they chose to put it in your station, or recommend it not be played again.
8 comments:
Oh yeah!! I read about that website in Rolling Stone several weeks ago and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me!
love meagan
Hi! I love that I was just with you 30 minutes ago. The site is great. I realized with all the artist names I put in they usually have a few of the "characteristics" in common.
Hope you sleep well.
katie,
i love it! which was entirely predictable i'm sure ;)
Cool idea! I tried to do it tonight, but my computer is going frustratingly slow on the internet. When I do get in, though, I'm going to try out Sufjan Stevens.
Ah Sufjan... Good choice, I'm going to try it out now.
Hip girl I knew you'd like it!
Hi.
I finally am trying this for the first time. I especially like how it's not a program you have to download or anything. I totally didn't expect that. I wonder how they got permission from the artists to play the full songs. Hmmm.
Already, it's playing a song I haven't heard before and am loving: "Wrapped in my Memory" by Shawn Smith.
love meagan
Ok, well, I've been playing with this thing for about two hours now, and I haven't yet entered Sufjan Stevens. Perhaps if I do, it will churn up all that overwhelming creativity of Stevens' and crash the server. I mean, really, what could it possibly put in that sounds remotely like or has any bit of ingenuity as the music of Sufjan?
I've created a Damien Rice (folksy quiet love songs), Coldplay (Anthemic Brit Pop), and Mae (Angsty Alt Rock) radio stations, so far. I'm thinking of doing country, but I'll wait till another time. Three stations is just a bit too much fun for one night.
Isn't it fantastic!
Sufjan came up with some interesting artists when I did it. Not exactly the same though, because who could do anything similar without sounding totally plagaristic?!
Damien Rice... I have as one of my stations too. Good choice. Try Bonnie Rait and you get a great mix of country, singer songwriter types. So far its one of my most listened too. This is my new favorite toy! I also like Sam Phillips and David Gray stations.
Post a Comment