9/24/2005

Addiction

Addictions... No one ever wants to admit they have one. But we all have addictions. Some are big and take over our minds and lives. Others are small and seemingly innocuous. Little bad habits that can be overlooked. Addictions can otherwise be described as obsessions, passions, crutches, habits, cravings, needs. Take your pick.

I have a lot of little addictions. Which I think makes me think I am fine because none seem to be glaringly out of line. But are little addictions okay? Or do they all add up to one bad thing?

Things I am addicted to:

  • Coffee (Oh yes, I love my coffee... I NEED my coffee.)
  • Shopping (Not so good for my pocketbook, but FANTASTIC for my self esteem. And essentially what I wander off to do when I can't think of anything else to entertain me.)
  • Food (My love is for wonderfully sensory things, and food sucks me in every time. Its like Martha Stewart is in my ear saying "Its a good thing." And sadly I buy it every time.)
  • Magazines (I adore them. I used to want to be an editor of a magazine when I was younger. I have two subscriptions, and pick them up whenever I can justify it. Maybe its their glossy pages that suck me in?)
  • People (As an extrovert I sincerely die when left alone for too long. I need my peeps! I truly don't understand how introverts survive.)
  • God (I suppose this is a good one. But is it my primary addiction? This could be an issue...)
  • And finally the inspiration for this post...Internet/Blogging

I am now fully addicted to reading blogs, commenting on blogs, following blog links, looking for blog comments on my site, coming up with new topics for my blog. Its a blog blog blog world! How did I realize this new addiction had crept into my life? I just randomly realized tonight that I have been on the computer on a fabulous Saturday for four hours! Why oh why would someone who works on a computer all day long spend their weekend surfing the net? They must be crazy... or bored. And I remember now all the reasons I didn't want a computer at home, and why I didn't want a faster connection, and why I didn't think I should have a blog. But here I am in the middle of all those things.

So the question remains... Is it a "Good Thing" in the words of the felon Martha Stewart? You tell me...

7 comments:

meagan said...

we welcome you to the dark side.

stan said...

True blog addiction means using words like gmhjkwbd in everyday speech. :)

meagan said...

:-) and don't forget pwuzxnrq.

Katie, I actually have found myself thinking or saying "Gvyaw!" as an exclamation lately, since you first mentioned it! So silly.

We should all get together this weekend when I'm up there and have some everyday speech.

love meagan

Katie said...

Yes we should definitely all get together. Eaqdh!!! The joy at a friends coming visit...

Yes. I find myself a little appalled at my addiction. But I had to log on and see what you'd say...

enrjtaxx--> energy tax?

meagan said...

ya ya yah. thurs.or fri. let's check mit stan. sifsmv?

Anonymous said...

Little sister, we introverts/extroverts are quite content not having people around and can't seem to understand your plight. Since I am both, I find it interesting that you reqire people around. Friends are good, but so much business often keeps you from sitting still for a few moments and thinking about important stuff like, did I dust the top of the refridgerator, or maybe my sock drawer needs straightened. Food for thought. BTW what's with your strange word usage, perhaps you were playing some game methinks?

Big Brother

Katie said...

Yeah I guess my fridge is pretty dusty on top...But I can't see it so it doesn't bother me. :-)

The word game is from the word verification. You take whatever arbitrary letters you were given and define them. zoqchpme- a chimp found only in the South American region of the Amazon.