Relationships define us. You may argue but I truly believe this.
I was reflecting today as so many wonderful friends have shown their love to me this week. Birthdays tend to bring the love out of the woodwork. Or at least the expression of it verbally. Some people (mostly men I think) would love to be defined by "what" they do in their lives. But for me (and a lot of other women I know) its "who" we impact and are impacted by that defines our life.
Just look at the titles we live our lives by. We are defined as mothers/fathers, sisters/brothers, wives/husbands, friends, mentors/disciples, and family. Granted we can also be defined by our job titles, but even then our relationships with our co-workers can make or break that experience or chance of success. Who we relate to and how we relate to them speaks volumes about our character, our interests, our loves and passions. We surround ourselves with those that can understand and empathize with our hearts. I call them kindred spirits.
My definition of a kindred spirit has expanded greatly in the past 7 years or so. I find I have more and more friends that don't love the same exact movies, books and music that I do. Many have a very unique style, and I adore the differences. It broadens my world and exposes me to new things. Though its uncomfortable at times I love being pushed to move outside of my small world. But the heart of each of these people I find is a common love and allegiance to our God and savior. This is a bond that moves across any social boundaries. It is the key. It binds us together in a common goal that moves us through life. I find I can just meet someone and know their heart is tied to mine already through this bond. Its crazy and wonderful at the same time. They are my true family.
So today I thank God for giving us relationships. He opened us to so much more insight and experience by creating our hearts to be tied to others. Just as His heart is tied to ours.
I love you kindred spirits. You know who you are...
11 comments:
Meagan... No swearing!!! Kids read this! ;-) But I have no clue how to censor you so you are staying...
Well I'm not upset so no worries.
WHOA! YOUR BIRTHDAY! Gvyaw!
Okay, now I'll go read the rest of your entry, after pulling myself out of this pit of embarrassment I'm in for forgetting your birthday.
love meagan
There. I censored myself for you :-)
Phew! Just kidding.
Mia Katia!!
How was it?? Your Lovely Spa La La. I tried so hard to get my shift covered & actually did so twice, but they both fell through :-( Talk about disapointing. I hoope your day was FAB.
Love you! ~Kimberly
PS: What did we end up getting you for your B-D present, I'm curious!
Good grief little sister, your blog is all pink, girly and then this entry about loving love for all it's loveliness! Egad I'm feeling woozy from the girlishness, I'm going to go shoot my guns to express my love! If I do a blog I'm going to cover it with cool bikes, guns, video games, ninjas and talk about man stuff and the weather.
Matt C
Well my silly brother that is because you are male and I am gasp! A female. I adore pink. Maybe I'll do a whole post about the color pink??? Someone has to balance out your bike/video game insanity!
Kimberly you got me a lovely gift card to Nordies. So exciting. I'm sad you weren't there but we had a good time. And Skamania is my new favorite place.
Missy Moo- Yes Anne is one of my inspirations.
Matt! He could start a blog too. A manly one. Maybe camoflauge. Camoflage. Camoflague. I do not know how to spell that word. Anyway, if I knew html I'd totally dress up my blog.
love meagan
Men know how to spell camouflage. :)
I am not a man. I think I would make a good man, though. Except for spelling camouflage.
Post a Comment