6/13/2008

What to do, what to do?!!!

So we found out the house I first put an offer in on Alder was still available this week and they would consider my counter offer. I went back through today and my agent's husband came through also to give us an estimate on some of the things I'd want done on the house. I really just wanted to find out what it would cost to update the kitchen a little, convert the garage room back to a garage and possibly retexture the walls and ceiling in the living area. A lot of work, but all of it doesn't have to be done right away.
I also had my roommate Kara come and look through with me too. So it started out ok, but then as we went it got worse and worse. The garage conversion back is the least of my issues. The windows they put in the addition's bedroom aren't the right size and turns out they aren't legal either. They need to be bigger and I'd probably need to put in a door in the room. I don't mind that because I wanted a door out to the back yard anyway, but its just the tip of the iceberg.The furnace is blocked in by a wall so you can't even get in to it to service it. There is also not enough return air coming back to the furnace so its probably working overtime which is never good. I think this is something we'd need fixed, and the all ripped out but I don't want to pay for it. The next big ticket item is the roof. I knew it might need replaced and I was hoping it would be an easy fix, but it actually has to be stripped all the way down and because Shake is underneath (why oh why do people do these things) it would need plywood laid down and then reshingled. That's not cheap, at least 10k.
Oh and all the window's are random which I knew before but some of the vinyl windows need replaced because seals are broken. So there are not only cosmetic fixes that are needed but some bigger repairs too.
So comes the decision... If I can get the price down or the furnace and roof replaced as part of the deal I would consider going ahead. I just don't know if this is going to be a money pit. The yard is beautiful. It has good space with the bonus room. I like the layout of the house. I can live with the kitchen for a few years if I get the dishwasher and disposal put in and bit of paint will help a good deal.
I think the little yellow house was really the solid house. I am praying that somehow they decide to reconsider my offer on it. My agent is going to check in again with the sellers. They took the house off the market officially but perhaps they'll reconsider and work directly with us. So prayers would be good! There is someone who will look into the furnace next week and give us an expert opinion on it. Hopefully God will make it clear to me what to do or if there is another house I should be waiting for. I feel like I can't wait forever because Kara needs a home to move into and the rates aren't steady now and I don't want them to go up.

I don't know...

6/09/2008

Two strikes...

So I found out today that the second house I placed an offer on (Yellow one on Morrison) is tied up in the owner's divorce and they didn't even counter my offer but instead are taking it off the market. So annoying! I mean if they weren't serious about selling they shouldn't have had it on the market. I am bummed because I had really just felt it was the one for me.

So now I am back to the drawing board. I feel like I've seen every house out on the market in my price and target area. The two I placed offers on I'd be totally happy with, but no luck. Now I am struggling to figure out if I pick something that I passed up already. But if I passed it up already maybe it should just stay out of the running? I'm a little depressed and tired of looking. I know though that God has affirmed to me this weekend that he has a plan for me. So now comes the patient part. This is the part I struggle with the most.

6/04/2008

Decisions are so hard!

I found a little house I liked this weekend. It needs a few things done on it, but it has good space for the price and the updates it needs I think I could do over time. I was all set to go take a second look this weekend and make an offer. Well my agent calls me today and says someone else has made an offer. So began my dilemma and push to make a quick decision.

I have been praying about the house and I know God has the right one for me, but which one? How will I know this is the one? I'm such a quick decision maker usually, but this isn't something I can just take back to the store if I don't like it. Its a big investment and a huge financial step. I talk with my dad and mom every few days and its been so fabulous to bounce it all off of them. I also have many people praying for me on this issue too which is so very comforting. So I felt confident that I should just take the plunge and make an offer. I have to do it sometime and if I don't I might regret it later (I'm still regretting not making an offer on Grandma's house though it would have been a ton of work). I figure the worst they can do is turn it down, and then I'll have confirmation this house wasn't for me. I made the offer pretty close to what I was planning already and I think its fair. If they take the one then they take it.

So now comes the waiting game. I am not in the best position here being the second person to put an offer in so I'm not banking on getting a yes. I just feel peace about this though I am sure I'll be disappointed if I don't get it. Its hard when the thing in front of you "right now" looks like the best idea/option you have and then it doesn't work out, it can be devestating really. But I am confident that God has something good in store for me even if I don't see it right now. He will protect me through this and if its a bad decision to buy this house I am trusting him to close the door. He's done it before and I trust he will do it again.

So how do you all deal with these kinds of things? I think I'll make a new poll for this (check it out on the right).

Pictures are on my dropshots links of all the houses this weekend. My top three were the one above on Alder, a cute little yellow cottage on Morrison, and a nicely landscaped house on 85th.