Last year I focused on losing weight and through Weight Watchers (which I seriously recommend) and some serious discipline I finally proved to myself that I could in fact lose the weight I thought I was forever going to have. In many ways it was just an effort to prove an assumption wrong, that I was just genetically predisposed to be the weight I'd been for years. That assumption was totally wrong. I lost 20 lbs, and still going.
So after that enlightening experience I decided to test another assumption. That assumption being that I am not really an athlete and that I will NEVER ever be a runner. In fact I used to tell people (usually at work, the world of runners!) that I only would run if someone was chasing me. Yep, great motto huh? And this weekend I'm running my first 5k run ever.
How did this happen? Well it started with my walks in my effort to lose weight just not feeling like enough effort. I started just having the urge to run. Maybe this was due in part to the fact that I was feeling more in shape than I had in a very long time. Just running a block or two and then walking. Then running a little farther and a little farther. For a while all I could do was the walk/run effort so I needed another driving force. Erin and I decided we'd try and run a 5k together to motivate ourselves to actually get to the point where we were running more than walking. For the past few weeks we've ran for set periods of time and walked for a much shorter time. It helps that the Nikeplus technology makes it so much fun to track my runs, pace and time.
It's so satisfying to know that I'm now running. I'm a runner!!! Another assumption about myself that was not true. What's next? What are your assumptions about yourself? Challenge it, you might be pleasantly surprised that you too can experience a runner's high and its not a myth.
2 comments:
i like this. good encouragement for today.
my assumption...that i'll never lose this last 10 lbs. I really really want it and I really really need to stop baking and keeping it here.
WAY TO GO!!!
way to go katie! so excited for you, and PROUD of you. You look awesome, and I bet you FEEL awesome too.
XOXO
Post a Comment