The book is A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. I have to admit it took quite a while to work through, but when I came to the end this week I was actually sad. I enjoyed the entire journey. I suppose I need to return it to it's original owner now who let me trek it half way around the world, thank you. Its now covered in my Italian travels' dirt and notes scribbled all over.
Just one sample of perfection to whet your appetite. So many, many more inside...
"Who said that justice is what you imagine? Can you be sure that you know it when you see it, that you will live long enough to recognize the decisive thunder of its occurrence, that it can be manifest within a generation, within ten generations, within the entire span of human existence? What you are talking about is common sense, not justice. Justice is higher and not as easy to understand--until it presents itself in unmistakable splendor."
Helprin, Mark. Winter's Tale. New York: Harcort Brace & Company, 1983. p 149
No comments:
Post a Comment