The reader on the podcast switches versions or translations of the bible every week. Its a nice way to get a different perspective sometimes. So this week's readings were from the Message. I like the Message for some things, its definitely more of a translation in today's vernacular but when you are used to hearing the words in a certain way some moments really catch you off guard. This week I laughed out loud when this was read...
Matthew 9:23
"By now they had arrived at the house of the town official, and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and the neighbors bringing in casseroles. "

That's right my friends... Casseroles! Who knew they had casseroles in Jesus' day? I thought Pyrex was a 20th century invention. Seriously? Its one thing to put it in modern day language, but could we try and still be true the time in history? Perhaps you could have left it to them just bringing food. Everyone would have still got the point. I envision some translator somewhere giggling as they put this in and wondering who would laugh at it.
P.S. On the 101 things to do with a casserole pic, I hope they are creative... Like throw two from the top of a building and see which lands first!
No comments:
Post a Comment