Two posts in one day... I know you are all stunned but I was reading an article on Relevant's site and I found this quote. Thought I'd share:
J. Gresham Machen, founder of Westminster Seminary, had much to say about the decay of the modern Christian influence upon culture:“The loss is clearest, perhaps, in the realm of art. Despite the mighty revolution, which has been produced in the external conditions of life, no great poet is now living to celebrate the change; humanity has suddenly become dumb. Gone, too, are the great painters and the great musicians and the great sculptors. The art that still subsists is largely imitative, and where it is not imitative it is usually bizarre. Even the appreciation of the glories of the past is gradually being lost ..."
What say we try and change that? I know there are still pioneers out there trying to do just that and its exciting.
The article is not so much about the loss of art and influence on culture but great at provoking thought on how to be relevant in our society yet keep our culture. And that culture shouldn't be a copy of the world's culture but the unique culture created from following the God of the Universe. It is timeless. Check it out.
1 comment:
Matty here, ah methinks ye say the crusty old words... "things were better in my day..." I don't disagree with the observation, but there are somethings we do better now such as speed. Everything is fast now, not that that's a good thing but it is. Perhaps that's the problem, there's too much whirling around for us to stop and think or create for creations sake. Anyway, I gotta go I'm late for something.......... HA
Post a Comment