I just got back from a nice weekend at the coast. A bit of a work weekend as it was a sort of planning retreat for our H.S. youth group staff. We spent some great time planning out ideas for the coming year. It was just so awesome to talk through where are passions are and where God seems to be leading the kids we work with. Mostly its us jumping on board with his plan and seeing it rather than doing any real planning ourselves. I'm looking forward to the year more and more. Its awesome to see people grow in the Lord and I get the joy of watching it happen in these kids. I don't even really do anything usually, I'm just there.
But the real reason for this post is my love of the Oregon Coast. I'm forever in awe of its rocky and craggy coastline. We call it the "coast" here. The term beach evokes ideas of warmth, sun and surf. We only sort of get the latter of those descriptions! Some friends and I for purely cost effectiveness alone have gone to the coast a few times in the past two years in the off season. Meaning we are there when the weather is least likely to be sunny and perfect, though we've lucked out and had it beautiful a few times. But I just adore the blustery winds and crashing surf. I don't mind having to put on warm clothes to walk the beach. I just sat on our porch wrapped in a blanket listening to the surf crashing while reading a book. Or soaking in the hot tub while it rained down and talking about God with friends. Drinking a hot coffee and looking out at the waves crashing in. It seems strange but the contrast makes it so beautiful. What is it about the ocean? The strength and magnitude of it perhaps? The desolation of the coastline... Its most certainly not friendly and inviting, but it has a ferocious beauty.
I don't know if I'll ever be able to move away from Oregon. Its the place I grew up. The place that is home. And I love all of it, even the rain. I'm already looking forward to my next rainy weekend at the beach.
5 comments:
You're preaching to the choir here, sister. It's one of my favorite sermons, though.
(Xbsvd, early english for "Can I buy a vowel?")
I'm waiting for my next rainy weekend at the beach, too!!! Though, technically I haven't had one yet, I was only there one lovely day.
swzvi: the sight of breakers hitting the beach in really foggy weather off the Oregon coast
I knew you'd all get it!
I've only been once, with the good Foolish Knight and his family, and the Queen and her family, but I've almost never wanted to go back somewhere so much.
Oregon's a pretty cool place!
Post a Comment